Red Bean 'N' Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 232 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,132 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.