Red Bean 'N' Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Red Bean 'N' Sausage Soup
Sort By :
Pretty good. I kind of wished the apple and onion hadn't been quite so cooked, so they could've been tasted more.
I have made this several times and we love it!
This is absolutely wonderful soup! I made a double batch of this & wish I would have quadrupled it. I did not double the sausage or apples, though & it was just right. Love it :)