- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Red Bean 'N' Sausage Soup
Sort By :
"Pretty good. I kind of wished the apple and onion hadn't been quite so cooked, so they could've been tasted more."
"I have made this several times and we love it!"
"This is absolutely wonderful soup! I made a double batch of this & wish I would have quadrupled it. I did not double the sausage or apples, though & it was just right. Love it :)"