"We have many cold months in Idaho, and hearty soups served with hot rolls help warm us up," writes Tami Christman from her home in Soda Springs. "My mom got the recipe for this delicious soup—chock-full of kidney beans, apples and turkey sausage—at a country restaurant in Lima, Montana. Guests always ask for a copy."
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Red Bean 'N' Sausage Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p33
Reviews for Red Bean 'N' Sausage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review