Red, White and Blue Pita Pockets Recipe
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the vinegar, oil and garlic; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and blue cheese; set aside. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry beef for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Line pita halves with lettuce, red peppers and onion; fill each with 1/3 cup beef. Serve with sour cream mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1 filled pita half equals 351 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 522 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.