Completely packed with delicious fillings, these pockets get their patriotic name from red peppers, white sour cream and tangy blue cheese. But don’t wait for the Fourth of July to serve them; they’re fantastic any night of the year! Charlene Chambers — Ormond Beach, Florida
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the vinegar, oil and garlic; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and blue cheese; set aside. Drain and discard marinade.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry beef for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Line pita halves with lettuce, red peppers and onion; fill each with 1/3 cup beef. Serve with sour cream mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Red, White and Blue Pita Pockets in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010, p33
Reviews for Red, White and Blue Pita Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review