Serving this rich, fresh-tasting dessert decorated like the flag is a great salute to the nation's independence! I used a new recipe I found and made some modifications based on tricks my grandma taught me. —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 quarts strawberries, halved, divided
- 2 quarts blueberries, divided
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and extracts until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. Place a third of the mixture in a 4-qt. bowl. Reserve 20 strawberry halves and 1/2 cup blueberries for garnish.
- Layer half of the remaining strawberries and blueberries over cream mixture. Top with another third of the cream mixture and the remaining berries. Spread the remaining cream mixture on top. Use the reserved strawberries and blueberries to make a "flag" on top. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Red, White and Blue Dessert in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p35
Reviews for Red, White and Blue Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review