Red, White and Blue Berry Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons raspberry gelatin
- 1 pint fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 pint fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-3/4 cups whipped topping
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- 2. Divide mixture in half. Stir blueberries and lemon juice into one portion; spread over crust. Chill until set. Gently fold raspberries into remaining gelatin mixture; cool to room temperature and set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping; spread over blueberry layer. Chill until set, about 2 hours.
- 4. Carefully spread raspberry mixture over cream cheese layer. Chill for at least 4 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 460 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Red, White and Blue Berry Pie
"Definitely delicious. But I would make more of the gelatin next time. It just barely coated my berries and didn't look very pretty. Maybe I had too many berries? (can you ever have too many berries though!!??) Amazing flavors."
"Ponygirl1014 - I believe "bbbaracuda" used sugar-free jello as there is quite a difference in the volume of sugar-free and regular jello. I used the called for amount of sugar-free when I made this pie and it did require 5 packages. While the pie was still delicious, the gelatin fruit layers were VERY stiff. Next time, I will use regular jello or adjust the measurement of sugar-free in proportion to the liquid."
"Just finished making the pie. It was very easy to make. I only needed one pack of Jello- unlike review below. Maybe Canadian packs are larger (so I now have three on reserve). I did double the amount of cream cheese and only added 1 tsbp of sugar to the cream cheese mixture. With the sugar in the fruit layers and the jello, I think there will be enough sweetness. Edited to add: Got rave reviews. I personally found it a little sweet but no one else complained. I still might decrease sugar a bit next time."
"Am in the process of making this pie but have to return to the store for jello. For those of you like me who don't have any idea how many TB are in a small box of jello it is a smidgen over a TB and I only bought 2 boxes. Need a total of 5, silly me! Can't wait to eat this later."
"Made this for bridge last night and it was not only pretty, but awesomely deliciously. Additionally I now can make a much tastier glaze for summer fruit pies than the usual strawberry."
"This recipe has been around for years. I first tried this when I saw it in the Taste of Home magazine. It is awesome! Only thing is I use strawberries in place of raspberries. Be prepared for an empty pie plate and plenty of requests for this recipe!!!!"
"This was delicious .As someone else suggested I substituted Stawberries for the raspberries.I also used strawberry jello.I would suggest a deep dish crust it makes a lot of filling. Can't wait to make it for the 4th of July. I also may try with peaches and strawberries sometime"
"This is a very light and delicious pie. It was loved by all!"
"This pie is absolutely delicious!!! I have made it twice, once with raspberries and once with strawberries. Both were delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!"
"I want to make this pie because it got such good reviews. I dont care for raspberries so I will sub with fresh strawberries and strawberry gelatin. Also, whipped topping is such a sub standard product made of oil and chemicals, I will make real whipped cream and use that instead."
"Made this for memorial picnic, was gone before I got to try it lol big hit next time I will make several so I get some"
"Brought it to a Memorial Day party & everyone loved it :)"
"What kind of whipped topping do you use? Cool whip, redi whip, or whipping cream, whipped?"
"I have made this pie many, many times and always get rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I have found that it works very well to substitute frozen unsweetened raspberries for the fresh ones, which are often outrageously priced. However, for the blueberries, it's preferable to use fresh berries for the best flavor. A delicious pie -- highly recommended!"
"i have made this pie for many parties. everyone loves it. i put blueberries ontop for a red/blue effect. very good."