Red, White & Blueberry Poke Cake Recipe
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- STRAWBERRY GELATIN:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons strawberry gelatin
- BLUEBERRY GELATIN:
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons berry blue gelatin
- FROSTING AND FILLING:
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Line bottoms of two 9-in. round baking pans with parchment or waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- 3. For strawberry gelatin, in a small saucepan, combine the strawberries, water and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until berries are soft. Strain into a small bowl, pressing berries lightly; discard pulp. Add gelatin to syrup, stirring to dissolve completely. Cool to room temperature. Repeat steps to make blueberry gelatin.
- 4. Using a wooden skewer, pierce tops of cakes to within 1 inch of edge; twist skewer gently to make slightly larger holes. Gradually pour cooled strawberry mixture over one cake, being careful to fill each hole. Repeat with blueberry mixture and remaining cake. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- 6. Run a knife around edges of pans to loosen cakes. Remove strawberry cake from pan; remove paper. Place cake on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup whipped cream.
- 7. Remove blueberry cake from pan; remove paper. Place cake over whipped cream layer. Frost top and sides with remaining cream. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC