- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- STRAWBERRY GELATIN:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons strawberry gelatin
- BLUEBERRY GELATIN:
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons berry blue gelatin
- FROSTING AND FILLING:
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two 9-in. round baking pans with parchment or waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- For strawberry gelatin, in a small saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or until berries are soft. Strain into a small bowl, pressing berries lightly; discard pulp. Add gelatin to syrup, stirring to dissolve completely. Cool to room temperature. Repeat steps to make blueberry gelatin.
- Using a wooden skewer, pierce tops of cakes to within 1 inch of edge; twist skewer gently to make slightly larger holes. Gradually pour cooled strawberry mixture over one cake, being careful to fill each hole. Repeat with blueberry mixture and remaining cake. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Run a knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes. Remove strawberry cake from pan; remove paper. Place cake on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup whipped cream.
- Remove blueberry cake from pan; remove paper. Place cake over whipped cream layer. Frost top and sides with remaining cream. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Red, White & Blueberry Poke Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2012, p73
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Red, White & Blueberry Poke Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review