Everyone should know how to make apple pie in the classic style—the real deal. This recipe is a perfect example of why this American icon has been a hit in this country for hundreds of years. It gets its stunning height from 3 pounds of apples. So stock up; you'll need them. —Margo Ferrick, Westford, Massachusetts
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 5 medium Braeburn apples (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-in. slices
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-in. slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 to 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to 1/8-in. thick circle. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, trimming even with edge. Fill with apple mixture, mounding in the center. Dot apples with butter. Lightly brush rim of pastry with some of the beaten egg.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush top with egg; sprinkle with superfine sugar. Place on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°. Bake 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Real Deal Apple Pie in Taste of Home 2012
Reviews for Real Deal Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review