Razorback Corn Bread Recipe
- 8 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 canned green chilies, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style or whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a deep 10-in. cast-iron skillet, fry sausage until done. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons drippings. Crumble sausage. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, combine eggs, chilies, onion, corn, buttermilk and cheese. Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture. Stir in sausage and reserved drippings. Pour into the greased skillet and bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until done. Serve warm from skillet. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 213 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Razorback Corn Bread
"I used to make this quite often, but now that my boys are grown and gone from home (it was a great favorite of theirs) I have let it slip from my repertoire. I have never tried to freeze it before, but I think I will try."