Razorback Corn Bread Recipe
Arkansas is called "razorback country", so this recipe seemed appropriate to represent our area! This dish is almost a meal in itself, but I serve it with mashed potatoes, fresh peas or butterbeans and cabbage slaw. I recently took it to our Senior Citizens Club and received lots of compliments and requests for the recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 8 ounces Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 hot canned peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style or whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a deep 10-in. cast-iron skillet, fry sausage until done. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons drippings. Crumble sausage. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, combine eggs, peppers, onion, corn, buttermilk and cheese. Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture. Stir in sausage and reserved drippings. Pour into the greased skillet and bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until done. Serve warm from skillet. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 213 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 714 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC