- 1 package spice cake mix with pudding (regular size)
- 1 package (3.40 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan.
- Combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes; fold in 1 cup nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 60-65 minutes. Cool in pan.
- For glaze, mix all ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Cool 3 minutes. Pour one-third of glaze over top of cake, allowing some to flow over sides. Let stand 1 hour. Remove from pan to cool completely; cover.
- The next day, reheat glaze; brush half over cake, cooling before covering. Repeat the following day, using remaining glaze. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forRawhide's Whiskey Cake
"Excellent whiskey flavor. Recipe should state in big bold letters it takes THREE days to make. The glaze did not seep into the cake at all but hardened right away. Maybe I boiled too long? The glaze tasted OK but I was thinking it would permeate and soak into the cake. My cake fell on one side. Is 300 degrees too low? It wasn't a pretty cake but it was tasty. Going to tweak it and try again!"
"Phew, this cake had a very intense whiskey flavor. Even our drinking friends said the flavor was too much. Fun to try, but won't be making again."
"Moist and delicious!! Made this for a holiday treat at work. It was gone very quickly!!"
"If there were more than five stars to give, I would give this recipe more than five stars!Yes, it takes a day and a half to make, but the result is something beautiful and delicious, which stays moist even when cut -- if you can resist gobbling it up, it will stay perfect for several days!It's not alcoholic when served, but the whiskey flavor is dramatic."