Ravin' Good Stew Recipe
This stew is loaded with ingredients. So it's sure to fill up little ghosts and goblins before they head out trick-or-treating!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Drain pears, reserving juice; chop pears and set aside. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, ketchup, salt, lemon peel, thyme, pepper, cinnamon and cloves until blended.
- 2. Gradually stir in the broth, wine and reserved pear juice. Add bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add sweet potatoes; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until potatoes and beef are tender. Stir in raisins and pears; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC