- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, blend cake mix with pudding, water, eggs and oil. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in coconut and nuts. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in center. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove to rack to complete cooling.
- For frosting, melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet; add coconut and stir constantly over low heat until golden brown. Spread coconut on absorbent paper towel to cool. Cream remaining 2 tablespoons butter with cream cheese, milk and vanilla. Add sugar, beating well to blend. Stir in 1-1/2 cups toasted coconut; spread on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Rave Review Coconut Cake
"I have made this cake many times and it is probably my very favorite cake. Toasting the coconut for the frosting cuts the sweetness a bit giving this cake perfect balance. The coconut and nuts in the batter add a delicious texture. My Mom made this cake for years and has the original clipping! It is the staple Easter dessert in our house but I make it throughout the year. As a Volunteer Field Editor I highly recommend this cake for any occasion."
"This cake is one of my favorites. When I really want to wow a crowd this is the one I use. It keeps very well. It gets better and more moist every day."
"I like this"
"i made it for a coconut lover and she loved it, it wasnt too sweet just right. also the cake was pretty spongey. didnt make any frosting"