Ratatouille with Sausage Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 uncooked Italian sausage links (about 2 pounds)
- 4 medium green peppers, julienned
- 4 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil or 8 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut eggplant into 2-in. x 1/2-in. strips; place in a bowl. Add zucchini and flour; toss to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat; cook eggplant and zucchini in small batches until lightly browned, add oil as needed. Transfer vegetables to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onions and garlic until tender; spoon over eggplant mixture. Brown sausage in the skillet; drain. Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 4. Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute green peppers for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water and seasonings; cook on high for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. drain sausage; place over onions. Top with green pepper mixture.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 cups ratatouille and 8 sausages.
1 cup: 345 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 929mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Ratatouille with Sausage
"This recipe was so delicious! My family loved it! Like the previous reviewer said, however, it does take about an hour and a half to prepare."
"This dinner was absolutely delicious, and both my 11 month old and my husband loved it. It just takes a lot longer to prepare than 25 minutes! I think I spent at least 1.5 hours cooking this meal."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.