Ratatouille with Sausage Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 uncooked Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (about 2 pounds)
- 4 medium green peppers, julienned
- 4 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil or 8 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into 2-in. x 1/2-in. strips; place in a bowl. Add zucchini and flour; toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat; cook eggplant and zucchini in small batches until lightly browned, add oil as needed. Transfer vegetables to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish.
- In the same skillet, saute onions and garlic until tender; spoon over eggplant mixture. Brown sausage in the skillet; drain. Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute green peppers for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water and seasonings; cook on high for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. drain sausage; place over onions. Top with green pepper mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 cups ratatouille and 8 sausages.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Ratatouille with Sausage
Sort By :
"This recipe was so delicious! My family loved it! Like the previous reviewer said, however, it does take about an hour and a half to prepare."
"This dinner was absolutely delicious, and both my 11 month old and my husband loved it. It just takes a lot longer to prepare than 25 minutes! I think I spent at least 1.5 hours cooking this meal."