These buttery fruit-topped shortbread bars are a treat to eat any time of year. "They are fancy but not too rich-and a nice change of pace from chocolaty bar cookies," notes Ann Previt of La Grande, Oregon.
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 18-20 minutes or until set and the edges are lightly
- Meanwhile, for topping, combine eggs and brown sugar in a bowl. Beat
- in vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to egg
- mixture. Stir in walnuts. Carefully spread jam over hot crust. Pour
- egg mixture over jam. Bake 16-20 minutes longer or until browned and
- set. Cool. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.