Raspberry Walnut Shortbread
A sweet raspberry filling is sandwiched between a crispy crust and a crunchy brown sugar topping in these satisfying snack bars, submitted by field editor Pat Habiger of Spearville, Kansas.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine 1-1/4 cups flour and sugar; cut in butter until
- crumbly. Press into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Place
- on a wire rack. Spread jam over hot crust.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Combine baking soda
- and remaining flour; stir into the egg mixture just until combined.
- Fold in walnuts. Spoon over jam; spread evenly.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool completely
- on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 222 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.