Raspberry Swirl Frozen Dessert Recipe
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 3 Eggland's Best® Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into an 11-in. x 7-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining water and sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Transfer to a small bowl; beat on high until soft peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in egg yolk mixture. Fold in whipped topping, then egg white mixture. Drain raspberries, reserving 3 tablespoons juice. In a small bowl, crush half of berries with 1 tablespoon juice. Set remaining berries and juice aside.
- Spread a third of cream cheese mixture over crust; spoon half of crushed berry mixture over the top. Repeat layers. Cut through with a knife to swirl raspberries.
- Top with remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved berries and drizzle with remaining juice. Cover and freeze for 5 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Raspberry Swirl Frozen Dessert(26)
Sort By :
Not a keeper with my family. Frozen raspberries do not stand up well after thawing. Although I personally didn't mind the flavor, the overall finished product did not taste like the picture that attracted me. It looks more like a delicious ice cream parfait, but in reality the raspberries are still frozen while the remaining ingredients are somewhat soft (even after freezing for 4-1/2 hours). Won't make again, especially for the amount of time involved in making it.
I haven't made this yet. I read the review where it took 90 minutes to whip egg whites. Someone actually stood there whipping egg whites for 90 minutes? You have to have a squeaky clean bowl to whip egg whites. Glass or stainless steel. No plastic as grease sticks to plastic no matter how much you wash it. Cold egg whites whip better than warm whites and be sure you are using a different bowl to whip the whites. Be sure it is CLEAN and not a speck of yolks are in the whites. If there is just a speck of yolks in with the whites, the whites will not whip. I've been baking for over 50 years but I have not tried this recipe yet. You also don't put the raspberries on top until you are ready to serve. That's why they were frozen. You don't put them on and then freeze. I"m sure strawberries would work just as well as raspberries in fact someone reviewed this and had used strawberries.
Very good, I may try to take more calories
out next time.
I think I did something wrong during the process. I made this with my roommate last week and ours ended up tasting like egg? The recipe is not very suitable for beginning home-cooks, not all ingredients are easy to obtain, such as cream of tartar and the graham cracker crumbs. We used substitute cookies, but it didn't form a solid crust in the fridge.
We will make this again, but when we have more experience in cooking. This was a bit difficult and the pile of dishes was huge!
I think it would help to not cook the egg whites and not add water to the egg whites, they will whip a lot faster without the water, I plan on making this recipe for a group of friends this weekend, sounds amazing! Dotty
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >