Raspberry Swirl Frozen Dessert Recipe
Rich, creamy and delicious describe this raspberry treat. It's so luscious it's worth the time it takes to make it. —Karen Suderman, Sugar Land, Texas
- 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into an 11-in. x 7-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining water and sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Transfer to a small bowl; beat on high until soft peaks form.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in egg yolk mixture. Fold in whipped topping, then egg white mixture. Drain raspberries, reserving 3 tablespoons juice. In a small bowl, crush half of berries with 1 tablespoon juice. Set remaining berries and juice aside.
- 5. Spread a third of cream cheese mixture over crust; spoon half of crushed berry mixture over the top. Repeat layers. Cut through with a knife to swirl raspberries.
- 6. Top with remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved berries and drizzle with remaining juice. Cover and freeze for 5 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 217 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC