- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup boiling water, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place raspberries on a baking sheet; freeze until firm.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in frozen raspberries.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For topping, place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water. Beat on low speed until a thermometer reads 160°, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes. If desired, gradually beat in enough boiling water until mixture reaches desired consistency; beat in extract. Spread over cake; sprinkle with sliced almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry Rumble
"Love this recipe. My favorite thing about it (other than the delicious taste) is the fact that it isn't super sweet. Between the cake and the frosting it has a light taste. Will make again and again."
"Simple, elegant, and delicious. I love the frosting. It reminds me of my mother's 7-minute frosting. The cake is tender and delicious and isn't too sweet."