Raspberry Ribbon Cake Recipe
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- BATTER FOR TWO CAKES:
- 12 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Fresh raspberries and mint sprigs
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups cream over medium heat until bubbles form around side of saucepan. Pour over chocolate, whisking until melted; whisk in remaining cream. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. For filling, using a fine sieve, press raspberries into a large bowl. Discard seeds. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Let egg yolks and egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and salt; set aside. For each cake, in a large bowl, beat 6 egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add 1/2 cup of the flour mixture; mix well.
- 3. In another bowl, beat 3 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites. Gently spoon into parchment-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in baking pan; spread evenly. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack. Repeat for second cake.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat 3 cups chilled white chocolate mixture until stiff peaks form; refrigerate. In a bowl, refrigerate the remaining white chocolate mixture. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 5 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Stir gelatin into strained raspberries. Place bowl into a large bowl filled with ice water. Let cool until mixture is syrupy, stirring occasionally. Remove from water bath. Stir a fourth of reserved 3 cups whipped chocolate mixture into raspberry mixture; fold in remaining three-fourths of whipped chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- 5. Invert cooled cakes onto wire racks. Trim edges; cut each lengthwise into thirds. Spread one strip with a heaping cup of raspberry mixture to within 1 in. of short sides and 1/2 in. of long sides. Starting at the short end, roll up. Stand on end in center of serving plate. Spread remaining raspberry mixture over remaining strips. Working with one strip at a time, and starting at the edge of the last strip, coil around center roll. Cover and refrigerate.
- 6. Beat reserved white chocolate until stiff peaks form. Spread over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Garnish with raspberries and mint. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 495 calories, 33 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 246 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Raspberry Ribbon Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.