Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie Recipe
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- VANILLA ICING:
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk 3/4 cup milk and egg yolk; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Divide dough in two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of lightly floured waxed paper into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up sides of pan; trim pastry to edges of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add raspberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Spoon into pastry.
- Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal with a fork. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over pie. Cut pie into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie
Sort By :
I would like to try this but with different fruit...any suggestions?
Followed recipe as written and it turned out great!
This was delicious. I only had about 3 cups of raspberries, so I did 5 cups of rhubarb and the combination was perfect. The icing on top was a really nice touch.
I really liked this after it had been refrigerated. My husband was impressed. The downside for me was handling the dough. I actually had to put it in the freezer then I could get it to roll better. Probably will make again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bar Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >
- Pie Crust Recipes with Butter >
- Pie Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >