Raspberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
Sweet raspberries and tart rhubarb are perfect partners in this classic coffee cake. For a mid-morning snack, I enjoy a piece alongside a glass of milk.Carol Ross, Anchorage, Alaska
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, mashed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in rhubarb and raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with rhubarb mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut and walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p147
Reviews for Raspberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Berry Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cake with Sour Cream >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >