Raspberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, mashed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in rhubarb and raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Cool slightly.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- 3. Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with rhubarb mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut and walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- 5. Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 636 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Raspberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake
"Very good. A little too much for a 9x13 pan. I might do half of the batter next time I make it."