"These sweet, fruity bars are wonderful with hot coffee or cold milk for breakfast, a snack or afternoon break," says Mary Nourse, a small-fruit grower from Whatley, Massachusetts.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in raspberries until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat flour, salt and vanilla. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press 2-1/2 cups crumb mixture into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread with cooled berry mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Raspberry Oat Bars in Country Woman June/July 2008, p5
Reviews for Raspberry Oat Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review