- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon raspberry gelatin powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Beat eggs whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add gelatin, beating until combined. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vinegar and salt. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave cookies in the oven with door ajar for about 1-1/2 hours or until cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Raspberry Meringues
"In one word: YUCK. 3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. raspberry gelatin powder is WAY too much. All these tasted of was chemical raspberry flavor. If I were to make these again, which is doubtful, I'd at least halve the amount of gelatin powder. I was surprised. Most TOH recipes that I try would get at least a 3-star rating from me. These, I am sorry to say, were disgusting, and a complete waste of a bag of chocolate chips."