Raspberry Lemon Torte
A box of lemon cake mix, raspberry jam and canned frosting make it a breeze to assemble this lovely layered torte from our Test Kitchen. TIP: To split each cake layer evenly, insert toothpicks into the side of the cake layer to mark the halfway point. Wrap a length of dental floss around the cake, resting it on the toothpicks. Cross ends of the dental floss and pull gently to split the cake.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
- 2-3/4 cups vanilla frosting
- Fresh raspberries
- Grease two 9-in. round baking pans and line with waxed paper; grease
- and flour the paper. Prepare cake batter according to package
- directions; stir in poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 21-26 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with half of the jam. Top with a second layer;
- spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with a third layer and remaining
- jam. Top with remaining layer; spread remaining frosting over top
- and sides of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white