- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
- 2-3/4 cups vanilla frosting
- Fresh raspberries
- Grease two 9-in. round baking pans and line with waxed paper; grease and flour the paper. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; stir in poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the jam. Top with a second layer; spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with a third layer and remaining jam. Top with remaining layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry Lemon Torte
Sort By :
"When I was working as a school librarian, short cuts such as using a cake mix, etc.. allowed me to spend time with my child as we discussed our day, Only after I retired after 30 years working, did I have the time to make more complicated recipes. However, by that time my arthritis made it hard to move or to stand for long periods. Short cuts helped me then to still put out meals, desserts, etc. that my family could enjoy. My son cooks for me now that I am on oxygen 24/7 combined with other health problems, and he makes things from scratch many times, and at times when he is done teaching (college level) at 8 p.m,, he takes shortcuts too. Nothing wrong with either short cuts, or made from scratch. People sometimes, looking down from their loftly attitudes at people like us, because we're tired at the end of such a long day (he's at work by 6:00 am) and need some extra help in fixing the family meals for our whole family. Those meals taste just as good as a totally home made meal. This recipe worked great for us."
"Cdngourmetgirl, there is nothing wrong with this recipe. Some people aren't accomplished cooks but still want to bake at home rather than buying something. Semi-home-made is perfect for them. I do it myself sometimes, when I'm short on time. Lighten up! We aren't all gourmet cooks."
"Nothing irks me more than to see a recipe where everything is prepackaged or premade. Sorry TOH."
"I made this for Easter. It was a big hit, with several requests for the recipe. I made a homemade buttercream frosting for it, and note it does need a lot of frosting, if you use canned frosting I would recommend two cans. Great recipe, it was a hit with men and women."