A box of lemon cake mix, raspberry jam and canned frosting make it a breeze to assemble this lovely layered torte from our Test Kitchen. TIP: To split each cake layer evenly, insert toothpicks into the side of the cake layer to mark the halfway point. Wrap a length of dental floss around the cake, resting it on the toothpicks. Cross ends of the dental floss and pull gently to split the cake.
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
- 2-3/4 cups vanilla frosting
- Fresh raspberries
- Grease two 9-in. round baking pans and line with waxed paper; grease and flour the paper. Prepare cake batter according to package directions; stir in poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the jam. Top with a second layer; spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with a third layer and remaining jam. Top with remaining layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Lemon Torte in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p22
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry Lemon Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review