Raspberry Lemon Cake Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- 1. For lemon curd, in a heavy saucepan, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Cool for 10 minutes. Cover and chill for 1-1/2 hours or until thickened.
- 2. For cake, preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; set aside to cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream beat butter, oil and 1-1/2 cups sugar until blended, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in gelatin mixture, lemon juice, lemon peel and extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 4. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 5. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine lemonade concentrate and remaining sugar. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Poke holes in warm cakes with a fork; pour lemonade mixture over cakes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 6. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla; beat until blended.
- 7. To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 6 tablespoons raspberry jam. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread about 1/2 cup lemon curd over top of cake (save remaining curd for another use).
- 8. Spread frosting over sides of cake and pipe a shell border along the top and bottom edges. Garnish with raspberries if desired. Chill 1 hour. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without raspberries) equals 792 calories, 32 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 148 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 122 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Raspberry Lemon Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.