Raspberry Hard Candy
Old-fashioned hard candy appeals to old and young alike. Everyone is thrilled with the awesome raspberry flavor.—Joe Caden, Sutton, West Virginia
35 ServingsPrep:10 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons raspberry extract
- 8 to 10 drops neon purple food coloring
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with
- butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Cook and stir over high heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a
- boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads
- 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in extract
- and food coloring. Immediately pour into prepared pan without
- scraping the saucepan (do not spread mixture).
- Cool for 1-2 minutes or until candy is almost set. Using a sharp
- knife, score into 1/2-in. squares; cool completely. Break squares
- apart. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 ounce equals 125 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.