This special-occasion cake impressed all who see and taste it. People are surprised to hear this torte starts with a simple cake mix...they're sure I bought it at a bakery. —Julie Hein, York, Pennsylvania
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- RASPBERRY CREAM:
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh raspberries and mint, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, water, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in miniature chips.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For ganache, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Whisk in butter. Chill until mixture reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- For raspberry cream, mash and strain raspberries, reserving juice; discard seeds. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in raspberry juice. Bring to a boil, cook and stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Place in a bowl; chill for 30 minutes. Fold in whipped cream.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the ganache. Top with second cake layer and the raspberry cream. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with remaining ganache. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Fudge Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p238
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry Fudge Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review