- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened raspberries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh raspberries
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and trace five 7-1/2-in. circles on paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine coconut and cornstarch; fold into meringue.
- Spread meringue evenly over each circle on prepared pans. Bake at 300° for 30 minutes or until firm and lightly golden. Cool for 5 minutes. Gently remove meringues from baking sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, drain raspberries, reserving juice. Set the berries aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and sugar; stir in the raspberry liquid until smooth. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely. Fold in the sweetened raspberries.
- To assemble, place one meringue on a serving plate; top with 2/3 cup whipped topping and 3/4 cup raspberry filling. Repeat three times. Top with remaining meringue layer and whipped topping. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Garnish with fresh berries. Cut with a serrated knife. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry-Filled Meringue Torte in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p37
Reviews for Raspberry-Filled Meringue Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review