Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce Recipe
- 4 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed, crushed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the raspberries, orange juice and tapioca; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. For vanilla sauce, combine cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Whisk 1/2 cup of hot mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or just until the sauce thickens slightly and reaches 160° (do not boil).
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl; press a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap over top of sauce. Refrigerate until serving.
- 5. Divide raspberry mixture among four dessert dishes; top with vanilla sauce.
One serving (1/2 cup raspberry mixture with 2 tablespoons vanilla sauce) equals 283 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit.
Reviews for Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.