Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce Recipe
"This delicious fruity dessert comes from my German background," notes Marie Baumgartner from her kitchen in Stoughton, Wisconsin. "Mom always called it "Rote Grütz'. We had a large raspberry patch, so she served it often in summer, when fresh berries were in season."
- 4 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed, crushed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the raspberries, orange juice and tapioca; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate.
- For vanilla sauce, combine cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of hot mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or just until the sauce thickens slightly and reaches 160° (do not boil).
- Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl; press a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap over top of sauce. Refrigerate until serving.
- Divide raspberry mixture among four dessert dishes; top with vanilla sauce.
Originally published as Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p43
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review