Raspberry Citrus Compote
Cindy Reams of Philipsburg, Pennsylvania shares this budget-minded breakfast medley. Grapefruit is a surprising addition to the refreshing salad, which is priced at only 36¢ each.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 3 large navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and seeded
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in raspberries. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes
- or until heated through. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Add oranges, pears and grapefruit; stir gently to coat. Chill
- leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 140 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.