- 3 cups sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 4 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cold cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Line three greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the buttermilk, oil and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat for 2 minutes. Gradually add coffee (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, whisk together flour and milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and let stand until cool.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and mix well. Gradually add cooled milk mixture; beat for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in liqueur, salt and food coloring if desired.
- Level tops of cakes if necessary. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with about 2 tablespoons jam. Place remaining layers on waxed paper; spread one of the remaining layers with remaining jam. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 cup filling over cake on the plate to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with jam-covered cake, then spread with remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add beat in cocoa and liqueur. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Raspberry Chocolate Cake(81)
Sort By :
The worst cake I've ever made. I followed the recipe verbatim. The cake had no taste and the filling and icing was way too sweet. Even my husband wouldn't eat it! He never complains about anything I bake. It took me half the day to make. Talk about disappointing. Don't waste your time with this one.
This cake is amazing! I did have issues with the cake sliding. It wasn't pretty to look at but it tasted great! Next time I'll let the filling set longer in the fridge. Then put between layers to prevent the layers from sliding. I may let it rest overnight in the fridge then frost the next day. The icing is AMAZING! A lot of work, but worth it. I used 3 cups of 10X in the icing.
Another year, another birthday and another request for this special cake. The presentation of the cake, with the pink filling, looks lovely.
it was really greate recipe! for sure i'll back to it. I also found very nice Raspberry mouse here http://professional-recipes.com/C/Chocolate/Best%3A%2BEasy%2BChocolate%2BRaspberry%2BMousse
Made this for my mom and dad's birthdays, was a huge success! Its light, and theres a nice balance between the flavor of the chocolate and coffee. Raspberries and blueberries act as a very nice palate cleanser! Highly recommend!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >