The simple combination of raspberries and cherries is the delectable difference in this pie. "My family prefers it with a lattice crust," says Fern Buffington of Traer, Iowa, "but feel free to top it any way you like."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 cup pitted fresh, frozen or canned tart cherries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine raspberries and cherries. Stir in the sugar,
- tapioca and lemon juice. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Line pie plate with bottom crust; add the filling. Dot with butter.
- Top with a lattice crust.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350°. Bake 30
- minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 438 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.