- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned tart cherries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- For filling, in a bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add the raspberries, cherries and lemon juice; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine the egg, water and vinegar. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge.
- Spoon filling into pastry. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Place pastry in plate; trim even with edge. Make decorative cutouts; place on top of pie.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forRaspberry Cherry Pie
"My husband says this is the best pie he has ever tasted. I thought the crust was superb."
"The filling for this pie was delicious, so for that I'm rating it a "5". I didn't care for the crust, though....it made too much pastry, so the pastry was rolled too thick. I've made crusts before that had an egg and vinegar in them and they were very flaky and good, but this one wasn't. I'll make it again, but use my own tried and true pastry recipe, using only two cups of flour, and milk for the liquid, that is thinner and much flakier. Also, I think I'd cut down on the sugar a bit. I also used a whole can of cherries, which may be more than one cup. At any rate...great filling, and the pie is delicious served warm with a little vanilla ice cream!"
"I made the pie and it was delicious. Hubby even raved about it. I ws not sue weather to drain the cherries or not, so I did drain them and it came out really well. This is a keeper.Brensmom"
"This looks delicious. My 12 yr old son recently made his first apple pie with a lattice top.On this recipe can I use butter flavored shortening?"