Raspberry pie filling and homemade chocolate frosting jazz up a packaged cake mix in this picture-perfect torte created by our Test Kitchen. With a hint of rum flavor, it’s rich and creamy for special occasions, but so simple to do, you could prepare it on weeknights, too.
Recommended: 45 Valentine's Day Desserts for Your Sweetie
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups raspberry cake and pastry filling
- Chocolate curls
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; fold in chopped almonds. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake as directed. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup raspberry filling and 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layers.
- Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag with a star tip #195. Decorate top and sides of cake as desired. Garnish with chocolate curls. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Butter Torte in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p51
Reviews for Raspberry Butter Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 9, 2011
"This is excellent. I made it for dessert for Mother's Day and everyone loved it."