Raspberry-Almond Jelly Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cups blanched slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries and mint, optional
- 1. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in the water, 1 teaspoon almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and remaining extracts until soft peaks form. Place half of the whipped cream in another bowl and refrigerate. Chop 1 cup almonds; fold into remaining cream. Unroll cake; spread with jam to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with almond mixture.
- 4. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost top, sides and ends with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Garnish with remaining almonds, raspberries and mint if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 472 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.