Raspberry & Pink Peppercorn Meringues Recipe
A classic meringue has been updated with the subtle flavor of raspberry, a drizzle of chocolate and a sprinkling of pink peppercorn. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:48 servings
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry extract
- 5 to 8 drops food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons whole pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Beat in extract and food coloring if desired.
- 2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill bag with egg white mixture. Pipe 1-1/4-in.-diameter cookies onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set and dry. (Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.) Remove to wire racks.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies; sprinkle with peppercorns. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 meringue equals 19 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC