Raspberries with Sour Cream Custard
Every summer, my grandmother would treat us to her garden-fresh berries and this delicate, piquant soft custard sauce.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 pints fresh raspberries
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually
- stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add 1/2 cup of hot
- mixture into eggs; return to saucepan. Add sour cream and vanilla;
- beat with whisk until well blended. Place saucepan in a bowl of ice
- water for a few minutes to cool. Cover and chill. Serve sauce over
- berries. Variation: Strawberries or other fresh fruit may be
- substituted for raspberries. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 182 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.