Ranch French Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 to 2 envelopes original ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs, ranch dressing mix, salt and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on two greased baking sheets. With a sharp knife, make five shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (14 slices each).
Reviews for Ranch French Bread(4)
Sort By :
Love this one. It's one of my "go to" bread recipes.
Good, but two packages of Ranch were a little stronger than I preferred.
I've been making this bread since it was first posted in TOH. My family raves about it! The recipe does make a lot, so be prepared to freeze some for later use. I always use the two packets of dressing mix. I've served this with everything from pot roast to spaghetti, and there is NEVER any bread left over.
I've been making this recipe for years, it always turns out wonderfully delicious. I always use 2 packets of dressing mix as I love the nice rich flavor it imparts. Also, a tip. If you don't have buttermilk, add a few tablespoons vinegar to lowfat milk. Let it sit for five minutes and pour into the bowl!