Ranch Beans Recipe
This recipe is served at all of our barbecues. It seems most people who live here like spicy flavorful food, and this fits the bill just right.
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans
- 1 quart water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan; add 1 qt. water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours longer. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 222 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC