Ranch Beans Recipe
This recipe is served at all of our barbecues. It seems most people who live here like spicy flavorful food, and this fits the bill just right.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 2-3/4 hours YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans
- 1 quart water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan; add 1 qt. water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours longer. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 222 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC