Raisin Wheat Bread
"My husband likes dense, hearty breads with a little crunch," says Lorraine Darocha of Mountain City, Tennessee. "So I took a basic wheat bread recipe and added crunchy sunflower seeds plus raisins and honey for sweetness. It's moist and tender but filling, too."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1-1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select wheat bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Editor's Note: If your bread machine does not have a wheat setting, follow the manufacturer's directions using the basic setting.
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 164 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,