Raisin-Walnut Waldorf Salad
"I enjoy playing around with recipes, trying to create tastes that I like without sacrificing my diabetic diet," shares Jean Mabis of Shumway, Illinois. A creamy pudding-and-yogurt dressing drapes this healthy updated version of the traditional Waldorf salad.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 cups chopped unpeeled red apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar, optional
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- Place raisins in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand
- for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Stir in celery and
- raisins. Combine the yogurt, pudding mix and sugar substitute if
- desired; pour over apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, stir in
- walnuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 181 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat.