When a bowlful of this special stuffing starts circulating, the table will be ringed with smiles in no time, guarantees Sheryl McDonnell Rak of Chicago, Illinois. "I like to surprise guests with this interesting mix of textures and tastes," she says. "They have fun trying to identify the ingredients—everything from allspice an caraway seeds to molasses and soy sauce.
- 4 cups day-old white bread cubes
- 4 cups day-old whole wheat bread cubes
- 1/2 cup DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple or apple juice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/4 cups chopped apple
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Place bread cubes in a single layer on two ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 275° for 25-30 minutes or until partially dried, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the juice, raisins, allspice and molasses; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, chives and parsley in oil and soy sauce for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the apple, sunflower kernels and caraway seeds. In a small bowl, beat egg, egg substitute, broth and marjoram; add to vegetable mixture. Add bread cubes and raisin mixture.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Raisin Vegetable Stuffing in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p62
Reviews for Raisin Vegetable Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review