This is the only stuffing my family will permit on our holiday table. With Italian sausage and a blend of so many great flavors, it's almost a meal in itself. No wonder it won first prize in a local recipe contest! —Teri Lindquist, Gurnee, Illinois
Featured In: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 package (14 ounces) crushed herb-seasoned stuffing
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, bring raisins and 1 cup orange juice to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside (do not drain). In a skillet, saute celery and onion in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the sausage, stuffing, apples, pecans, remaining orange juice and reserved raisins to celery mixture. In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; add broth, thyme and pepper. Pour over stuffing mixture; mix well. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 18 cups.
Originally published as Raisin-Studded Apple Stuffing in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p24
Reviews for Raisin-Studded Apple Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2012
"I have made this recipe many times, it is to die for! I highly recommend it!"
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2009
"The stuffing is to die for. I have been making it for several year and my family just loves it. I would highly recommend this recipe!"