Raisin Spice Cake Recipe
This recipe is an old-time favorite that was given to me by my mother-in-law. She told me the cake shouldn't be eaten the day it's baked...aging makes it so much better. She once entered this cake in a contest and won first prize!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12-15 servings
- 2 cups raisins
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a saucepan, combine raisins and water. Cook until plump. Drain and set aside raisins, reserving 10 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- 2. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves nutmeg and salt; set aside. Combine milk, soda, eggs and reserved cooking liquid. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture to creamed mixture. Stir in cooked raisins. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 340 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC