Several years ago, my parents went to Scotland, where Mom was born. Mom asked Dad to re-create the scones they had on the trip. Mom agrees eating these is like being back in Scotland!Art Winter, Trumbull, Connecticut
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture
- resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins and buttermilk just until
- moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times.
- Pat into an 8-in. circle and cut into 12 wedges. Place 1 in. apart
- on a greased baking sheet. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over
- scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or
- until golden brown. Yield: 1 dozen.